CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1st Anniversary Trip

Well, I think I finally have an idea on how to blog. So, as I mentioned in my previous blog, I want to dedicate a post to the trip Matthew and I took for our first anniversary. So, here we go. (I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this post)

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Considering we had an eleven hour drive, enjoying the ride was the best option. Two days after Christmas, Matthew and I left our quiet town of Raymond, MS and headed East. After driving nearly 600 miles, we reached our destination of Savannah, Georgia. Now, normally, I would have been too tired to do anything after such a long ride; however, the city was too beautiful not to get out and explore immediately! We spent a few hours on the town that night exploring the Historic District of Savannah. From Revolutionary War monuments, "haunted" homes and churches, and bright city lights, Savannah was beautiful at night.


The next morning, we woke up and walked to Savannah's largest city park, Forsyth Park. If the city was not pretty enough with its bright lights, the huge Oaks and Spanish Moss only added to its beauty during the day. The weather was a bit brisk, but we enjoyed walking through and relaxing in Forsyth Park. Once we left the park, we roamed around and enjoyed looking at all of the homes and their intricate architecture. I have never seen so many gorgeous homes in one location before. We eventually made our way back down to the Historic District, which took on a completely new look during the light of day. I felt like Matthew and I had traveled backwards in time, namely to the 1800s. The city streets were lined with beautiful buildings, gorgeous trees, and more history than a text book. Savannah was not only beautiful, but polite. It was so nice to visit a city that was not filled with honking horns, loud volumes, and rude mannerisms.
Forsyth Park

Shopping at the Riverwalk

War Monument



After spending most of the day in Savannah, we decided to drive about twenty miles to Tybee Island. Tybee Island, with is sapphire water and gorgeous East coast rocks, is not a city that rings a bell when people hear its name. However, it is gaining popularity as a vacation hot-spot after being home to the setting for The Last Song. Now, I'm a sucker for a good book- especially a Nicholas Sparks' book. Naturally, I loved the film version of his book as well. While we were visiting Tybee Island, we decided to scout out some of the locations used in The Last Song. We were able to find the church from the film. Interesting enough, the church was built specifically for the film on a vacant lot (so the burning scene was able to take place). After the movie, the church was moved to the main highway and is being modeled into a wedding chapel. We were able to walk around inside and outside of the church and take some pictures. Next, we decided to search for the beach house used in the movie. We did not have success in locating the home that day because it was beginning to turn dark, and we honestly had no idea how to navigate the island. Fortunately, on our last day of the trip, we were able to find the home that was used as Ronnie's dad's home in the movie. Once back in Savannah, we decided to go ice skating at the Civic Center. Ice skating with Matthew is always a treat- even if he is much, much better than I am.

Tybee Island

Inside the church from The Last Song


Next morning, we wake up and head even further East to what I will have to, hands down, call THE most BEAUTIFUL city I have ever visited- Charleston, South Carolina. From the moment we parked in downtown Charleston, my breath had already been taking away. From palmettos and a church filled skyline, to horse drawn carriages and southern mansions, I was in southern belle heaven. Matthew and I took a carriage tour of downtown Charleston to get a feel for the city and learn about its intriguing history. We heard of wars, the great fire of Charleston, film and television settings in the city, and ghost stories. The tour was one of the most entertaining events I have participated in. After the tour, we explored Charleston ourselves by foot. Charleston had SO much to offer- and even more to fall in love with. Walking through Charleston made me feel as if I was walking on the set of Gone With the Wind. We enjoyed admiring homes that, on average, were approximately 10,000 square feet. These homes had the most magnificent architecture and detail I have ever seen. If the homes weren't gorgeous enough, the churches were stunning. It's such a shame, in my opinion, that today's society has little appreciation for historical buildings and the preservation of them. I think the respect Charleston has for its city and history is one of the main reasons I fell in love. I could go on and on about Charleston.. but I think you guys probably get the picture by now.





Leaving Charleston, we decided to check out a South Carolina beach- and decided on the shores of Folly Beach. Much different the Tybee Island, Folly Beach had lighter, more crystal-like water. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset over one of the piers and then headed back to Savannah (note: these cities are two hours apart from each other).



As I stated earlier, we visited Tybee Island once more before we departed from the East coast (one of the saddest moments in my travel history). Again, we were able to location the home used in the film, and had a great time exploring its premises (hey, there was not a "no trespassing" sign- free game, right?!). We also visited the Tybee Island museum which was located inside of a battery (where ammunition was kept) that was used during numerous wars. Before we left, we climbed 174 steps to the top of the Tybee Island lighthouse. I have always found lighthouses fascinating, so being able to climb one was almost dream-like. From the top of the lighthouse, we saw miles of sapphire shore, making it even harder to come to terms with reality.


Reality was this, our trip was over. I am usually one who, although I love to travel, cannot wait to get home to my bed. This trip was another story, however. I have never fallen in love with a location like I did the Southeast. Everything about these quaint cities and their southern charm won me over. If life played by my rules, Matthew and I would move and be East coast bums. Dream on.

Well, I've rambled on for far too long now.. and if you're still reading this, congrats! I didn't bore you too bad!

Until next time, God bless.

Georgia on my mind...
-Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment