CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Eat. Pray. Love.


So, now that I've gotten everyone caught up (for the most part) with what happened in 2010.. I can start blogging about our lives in 2011. So how does the phrase (coined from the popular movie, of course) "eat, pray, love" relate to the Gates in 2011? Well, it relates to our family in two different ways.
First, it is how we have spent the first week and a half of the new year. With myself still on Christmas break, I have been able to spend time doing what I love best- cooking and baking. Needless to say, we have spent the New Year eating, as I experiment and prepare different meals and goodies. Next, we have spent the New Year in prayer. Our church started going through a "one year Bible" together. This particular Bible is split up into daily readings (not in chronological order). There are a few passages assigned to read each day and, by the end of 2011, we will have read through the entire Bible together as a church. Much prayer has taken place alongside studying the Bible together. Now, for love. Because I have not had my nose stuffed in a nursing book for the past week and Matthew has had some time off from work, we have been able to spend more time loving on each other. By loving, I don't necessarily mean cuddling and handholding, but by spending precious time together. Our trip definitely provided us with much needed quality time and, surprisingly, we have found that we have been able to make more time for each other at home, as well.
Secondly, I am not one that normally makes (or sticks to) New Year's resolutions. However, if I had to pin down a phrase that best sums up how I plan to spend 2011, it would also be "eat, pray, love." During the new year, I am determined to still keep up with my cooking and baking (maybe as a stress reliever from nursing school!)- and I'm also determined to find and experiment with healthier recipes. I also have challenged myself to dive into deeper and develop a stronger prayer life. I was tested with many different circumstance in 2010- both good and not so good. Without personal prayers and the prayers from friends, I can honestly say I would not have been able to deal with and cope with these situations in the way I did. Not only is prayer powerful in one's personal life, but it can be powerful in the lives of others also. I want my prayers to make a difference in someone elses life this year, not just my own. Now, for the final "resolution", love. I want to spend this new year (our second year of marriage) developing a stronger love for my husband. I want to develop the type of love taught about in 1 Corinthians 13. I challenge myself to be patient, kind, not envious, not boastful, not arrogant or rude, and not evil. I want to rejoice in the truth. I want to bear, believe, hope, and endure all things. Most of all, I do not want my love towards my husband, family, friends, and others to fail. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7) I think practicing a more selfless love would be a good challenge to present to my readers.
What are your resolutions? How do you plan to KEEP them this year? What makes you more determined to follow through with them?
..just some food for thought.

Until next time, God Bless.

With 1 Corinthians 13 love,
Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment