CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Our DIY Mantel

Ok, so Matt and I have lived in both a house and an apartment, neither of these had/have a mantel OR fireplace for that matter.  For those of you who truly know me, you know that has the potential to cause problems, namely around Christmas season. HOW is Santa supposed to come visit without a fireplace?! He seemed to find his way last year, but I'm sure he would be MUCH more appreciative if our stockings were hung on a mantel, as opposed to our door frame.

example:
the last two years' Christmas stockings
ok, ok.. I know the crown molding IS pretty, but it's STILL not a mantel.

So, Matt and I decided to have a little DIY Sunday afternoon. This was so exciting for us because we never, I repeat NEVER get to spend much quality time together because of his work schedule (seeing each other at dinner and bedtime does NOT count for good, quality time). My idea for a mantel sparked when I realized how bare our apartment looks. I figured a mantel would be the perfect touch to our living  area to decorate.. for every season (especially since it's almost Fall, yay!). I began looking around on Pinterest for a few ideas. I found several ideas I liked made from pallets, but they were all shelves. I also found several gorgeous mantels with no tutorials. So, we decided to mix and match a few of my ideas and make our own unique mantel.. out of pallets! Matt brought home some pallets from his Saturday job and we began. Here's the process..

Step 1:
Start with one whole, solid pallet

Step 2: Saw off bottom section (of both sides)



Step 3: This is what you should have after sawing off one bottom section




Step 4: Determine desired length and connect another section of cut off pallet.
(We used half of the other side of the pallet)


(see below, you can see the additional section we added for extra length)


Step 5: After pieces are attached, bust up the extra wood off of the pallet. 
Next, use those extra pieces to run across the top. Secure with nails.
(below: top of mantel now assembled)


Step 6: PAINT! Any color you wish!
We used a cherry color to match our existing furniture.




*Optional*: We "aged" our wood while painting to give it more of a rustic feel.
You can paint it completely solid if that's more your taste.



Step 7: Final step.. HANG your mantel!!




These instructions may not be the clearest, but from a woman's perspective.. they make sense ;)


I'm so happy with how our mantel turned out! I cannot wait to get more decorations for it and decorate it for each season! I can't wait to see what a few pumpkins and fall colored candle will look like up there! I already know stockings will look amazing :)

Xoxo,


1 comment:

  1. Adorable!!!! love love love it! yal are so creative!

    - Dena:)

    ReplyDelete